Noticing the sad lack of women on the end of year best-of lists, being one of those women who will likely never make one of those best-of lists and becoming suddenly enchanted by the quirky, witty and wickedly concise women writers on Twitter, I decided to build a reading list for next year.
Don’t get grumpy, boys. I’ll read your books too. In fact, I already mostly read your books and I need to fix that.
Here though, is a list of women who are active on Twitter and with the exception of just a couple of books, all were published in the last year or about to be published in 2012. Special thanks to @missliberty for really helping me bolster this list.
Will I be adding to the list? Yes.
Will I be reviewing books? Er. Um. Sort of? I’m not much of a reviewer, but I’ll certainly share why I wanted to read the book, what I love about the author’s Twitter stream and what it was about her book I enjoyed.
So here it is’ I’ll link them to posts as I read them and comment on them and feel free to add your thoughts, ideas, links to your own reading lists in the comments.
- To The River, Olivia Lainge @olivialanguage
- Imaginary Girls, Nova Ren Suma @NovaRen
- Tethered, Amy MacKinnon @AmyMacKinnon
- Everybody Sees the Ants, A.S. King @AS_King
- Rin Tin Tin, Susan Orlean @SusanOrlean
- Swords Point, Ellen Kushner (Audiobook @ACX, @NeilHimself Presents) @EllenKushner
- Other People We Married, Emma Straub @emmastraub (Feb 2012)
- Wild, Cheryl Strayed (March 2011) @CherylStrayed
- Birds of a Lesser Paradise, Megan Mayhew Bergman (March 2012) @mayhewbergman
- The Lola Quartet, Emily St. J. Mandel (May 2012) @EmilyMandel
- The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D, Nicole Bernier (June 2012) @NicholeBernier
- Notes from the Underwire, Quinn Cummings (2nd book forthcoming Sept 2012) @quinncy
- Blueprints for Building a Better Girl, Elissa Schappell @elissaschappell
- Hold Me Closer, Necromancer, Lish McBride @TeamDamnation
- Bad Marie, Marcy Dermansky @mdermansky
- The Report, Jessica Francis Kane @jessicafkane
- The End of Everything, Megan Abbott @misssaragran
- Dog Town, Elyssa East @elyssaeast
- The Weird Sisters, Eleanor Brown @eleanorwrites
- Love at First Bark, Julie Klam @JulieKlam
- Only to Deceive, Tasha Alexander @talexander